Identifying The Need For Child Support In Sullivan, Indiana

by | Sep 9, 2014 | Lawyers and Law Firms

Indiana courts assign child support payments based on the guidelines set forth by the custodial parent’s county of residence. In most cases, this value is sixty percent of the non-custodial parent’s income. It is also based on the number of children for which the support will assist.

Child Support Awards

When assigning a value for child support, the judge will review the income of both parents. He or she evaluates the current household expenses of each parent and devises strategies to implement a plan that benefits the child most of all. However, while the standard for child support is sixty percent, the judge can reduce this value based on a financial hardship.

For instance, if the custodial parent’s income is greater than the opposing parent’s, the judge may take this into consideration. This doesn’t imply that the judge will not require the non-custodial parent to fulfill their obligations to the child in question. However, if the custodial parent’s income is considerably higher and sixty percent of the non-custodial parent’s income will prevent him or her from maintaining a home of their own, the judge could reduce the overall payment value.

Increasing Child Support

At any time that the custodial parent faces a financial hardship, he or she can seek an increase in child custody payments. For instance, if the non-custodial parent has an increase in income and was assigned a reduced rate the custodial parent can petition the court for an increase. However, the judge will not award this increase if the parent is simply acting in a malicious manner to deliberately cause difficulties in the non-custodial parent’s life.

If you possess an order for child support payments and your former spouse has failed to provide these payments, you can petition the court. Deadbeat parent laws protect the interests of children and their custodial parents in these circumstances. If you are facing financial difficulties due to a deadbeat parent who owes you Child Support in Sullivan Indiana now, you should hire an attorney immediately.



Recent Posts



Related Posts