When to Notify Your Employer of Your Injury

by | Oct 24, 2013 | Lawyers

In Minnesota, every employer must generally carry worker’s compensation insurance for its employees even if the employer has only one part-time employee. Worker’s compensation coverage is beneficial to employees because it provides compensation when employees are injured on the job. If you have been injured on the job the first thing you must do is notify your employer. If you fail to do so you may not receive compensation for your injuries. Although worker’s compensation is supposed to help you get compensation for your injuries, you must carefully follow the rules to ensure that your claim is not denied.

Under Minnesota law, there are three notice periods applicable to worker’s compensation cases. You must notify your employer within 14 days of your injury unless your employer has actual knowledge of your injuries. However, if you do not notify your employer within the 14-day time period you have up to 30 days to notify your employer of your injuries. If your notice is provided between 15 and 30 days of your injuries your employer may show that it has been prejudiced by your delay in providing notice and your compensation award could be reduced to an amount that represents the prejudice to your employer. Additionally, If you missed the 30 day notice period, you may notify your employer within 180 days of your injury. However, you must show that you were unaware of the law, unable to notify your employer within the require time period, there was a mistake, or there was misrepresentation, fraud or your employer was deceitful. Moreover, your employer still may be able to show that your delay is prejudicial and have your compensation reduced.

Therefore if you have been injured on the job notify your employer immediately. Workers Compensation in Brainerd, MN is very complex and time consuming often involving many court proceeding. A skilled attorney may be able to assist you in obtaining a fair amount of compensation for your injuries. Additionally, an attorney may be able to refer you to a competent medical professional to rebut unfavorable opinions from the insurance company’s doctors. If you have been injured on the job and you have been unable to receive fair compensation from your employer contact a lawyer today for help.

Contact Business Name. to get fair representation for workers compensation cases in Brainerd, MN and the surrounding areas.


Recent Posts



Related Posts